Mobile broadband plans are great for getting online on your laptop when you’re out and about, but have you ever considered using them for access to your favourite gaming networks? You don’t need to purchase an expensive router to get online through your console; instead you can use the cheap broadband that you can get with your 3G mobile dongle. Simply follow this step by step guide and in no time at all you’ll be gaming with friends around the world
Step 1 – Assemble the required equipment
To get online using your cheap broadband you will need the following equipment:
- Ethernet cable. This is often supplied with your games console, or can be bought cheaply from a computer or electrical store.
- PC / laptop. Unfortunately there’s no way of plugging the dongle from your straight into the console so you will need a computer.
- 3G dongle. This will have been provided when you first signed up to your contract.
- Gaming console of choice.
Step 2 – Set up your computer
Connect to your cheap broadband on your computer in the usual way, and then head to the Control Panel, where you will need to access the ‘Network and Internet’ section. You should have an option to view the status of your current internet connection which will open a dialogue box upon clicking. Select the Properties button at the bottom of the box to open a new window, and then click the Sharing tab at the top.
Within this Sharing tab will be a tick box that says the following, ‘allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.’ By default this checkbox will not be ticked, but to use broadband plans to connect with your games console you will need to tick it.
With this step complete, disconnect your cheap broadband and then reconnect it, and plug the Ethernet cable from your computer to the games console.
Step 3 – Set up your games console
This step will be different depending on what console you are using, therefore we have detailed the steps to take for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360:
- Go to Network Settings.
- Select Internet Connection Settings.
- There should be an option for an ‘easy’ setting method. Select this and wait for a few moments.
- Choose ‘automatic’ on the screen that pops up, allowing your Xbox to find its own IP address.
- Follow the rest of the instructions on screen to complete the setup.
- Go to System.
- Select Xbox Live Connection.
- Select ‘Test Xbox Live Connection’.
- Follow the rest of the instruction on screen to complete the setup.
If, for any reason, your broadband plans are failing to work on your games console after following these steps try disconnecting and reconnecting the internet again. This will often solve the problem.
So there you have it, now you can connect to your favourite gaming network without the requirement for an expensive router.